GR-55 System Program (Ver.1.50)
How to know the version
Before you start, check the system program version of your GR-55.
- Hold down PAGE [ < ] button and PAGE [ > ] button, and turn GR-55 power on.
If this shows the latest version (version 1.50 or later), there’s no need to update your GR-55.
- After verifying the displayed version, switch off the power.
- Added new preset patches
Added new 90 Guitar and 18 Bass Patches as preset patch.
Please refer to the "GR-55 Additional Patch List" (GR-55_l_Add_PatchList_je01_W.pdf) for details.
* Between before and after updating, some patches change to the different by the same program change message received from an external MIDI equipment. Please refer to the "Precautions Concerning the Update of the System Program of the GR-55 to Ver. 1.50 ( GR-55_l_ver150attend_e01.pdf )" for detailed information.
The following bugs were fixed.
- A setting of ALT-TUNING did not affect to MIDI note messages outputted by GUITAR TO MIDI.
- The level meter for each string sens was displayed in less amplitude than it should be when the PU TYPE parameter in GK SETTING was PIEZO, PIEZO G or PIEZO R.
* The Audio Input Level after updating is the same as before although the amplitude of the level meter changes.
- A noise mixed with USB Audio when a lot of voices sounded.
- PCM tones which TONE SW were set to OFF caused voice interruptions when a lot of voices sounded.
- Particular instruments in Drums category tones sounded at a wrong volume level.
- When using patches which the [PEDAL/GK CTL] > [CTL] or [EXP SW] parameter was set to each EFFECT SW, editting the EFFECT ON/OFF parameter was not linked with the status of each EFFECT SW.
- It caused GR-55 no sound that the GR-55 Librarian wrote a patch including a Drum Kit to the GR-55's user patch.
The following bugs were fixed.
- The parameters "LOW GAIN" and "HIGH GAIN" of the EFFECT EQ do not work correctly.
- GR-55 hangs up when it keeps powering on without an operation for more than 40 hours.
What you will need to update your GR-55
- USB Memory ( Roland's M-UF2G is recommended )
* Before you start, use a computer to format the device using the FAT32 file system.
- A computer with a USB connector (Windows XP/Vista/7, MacOS X v10.4.3 or later)
- Update file downloaded from this page
Cautions with the update
- We recommend that you save your user data to a USB memory before you perform the update. If a problem occurs and your user data is lost, you will be able to restore the original state by reloading the data you saved.
- Never apply this update data to any product other than the GR-55. This update data may destroy the data or system program of other products.
- Never power-off your GR-55 while the update is in progress.
If a power failure or similar accident occurs during the update process, the GR-55 won’t be able to start up in normal operating mode. This will require servicing, so you will need to contact Roland service center near you if this occurs.
- We regret that we are unable to answer questions regarding the update procedure using this system program. Please perform the update responsibly, following the directions given in this document.
Getting the update file
Please open/extract the downloaded "gr55_sys_v150.zip" file on your computer to get the update files in the "gr55_sys_v150" folder.
Procedure for the update
Never power-off your GR-55 while the update is in progress!
Creating the Update USB memory
- Using your computer, copy the "gr55.bin" file to the root directory (top level) of your USB memory.
- Un-mount the USB memory device through the correct procedure, then disconnect from the computer.
- With the GR-55's power turned off, connect your USB memory to the GR-55.
- Hold down [ V-LINK ] button and [ USER ] button, and turn GR-55 power on.
The initial screen appears, and then the Display lights up completely.
- After a short interval, the update is executed.
- When the message Completed! is displayed, the update is finished.
- Disconnect the USB memory from the GR-55.
- Please verify the version number "1.50" with the procedure described in "How to know the version" part of this document.
- When the entire update process has been completed, connect the USB memory to your computer and delete the file "gr55.bin" from USB memory.