Created in the golden age of analog synthesizers, Roland’s SYSTEM-100 was a true gamechanger when first introduced to the world. In addition to its powerful oscillators and filters, the SYSTEM-100 possessed modular patching capabilities, dramatically increasing sound design options for the user.
Adventures in Sound
Pairing a Model 101 Synthesizer with a Model 102 Expander in the SYSTEM-100 gave you two VCOs and two LFOs to work with, as well as sample and hold, ring modulation, and a noise generator that all worked seamlessly together. With the addition of its modular routing capabilities, the SYSTEM-100’s sonic palette was staggering, turning out the fattest of basses, in-your-face sync leads, dense textures, and exotic soundscapes.
Plug In Your Own SYSTEM-100
The SYSTEM-100 Software Synthesizer is a detailed, circuit-level recreation of the original. Sound and behavior are reproduced with total accuracy, while several modern additions improve upon the original design:
- The Model 101 Synthesizer and Model 102 Expander are combined into a single interface, so you can use the VCOs, LFOs, S&H, and Ring Mod in both units with no patching
- A 14x15 routing matrix enables quick patching, with all connections visually reflected as patch cables
- Toggle patching on/off or quickly see the entire signal flow
- Tempo-syncing arpeggiator
- Modern effects: onboard reverb, tempo-syncing delay, and lush phaser
The SYSTEM-100 can be used as a plug-in in your favorite DAW, and it also supports the PLUG-OUT feature in select Roland hardware synthesizers. Host it in the SYSTEM-8 and get one-to-one, pre-mapped controls for hands-on operation, or pair it with the SYSTEM-1m for virtual and physical routing plus modulation capabilities.
Bridge the divide between the past and future—enjoy the SYSTEM-100 as part of your Roland Cloud membership today.