The following procedure will guide through recording an external stereo instrument or device (e.g. keyboard, drum machine, guitar processor/synth, audio mixer, another audio recorder, etc) onto the BR-1600CD:
- Bring the MASTER volume fader all the way down.
- Connect either speakers to the BR-1600CD's LINE OUTs or headphones to the BR-1600CD's PHONES 1 or PHONES 2 headphone jack on the front left panel.
- Connect the left and right outputs of the external stereo instrument into the 1/4" inputs 7 and 8 on the back panel of the BR-1600CD.
Note: This may require adapter cables (e.g. RCA to 1/4" if the outputs of the instrument are RCA).
- Press the STEREO TRACKS button on the top left of the BR-1600CD so that it is illuminated red.
- On the top panel of the BR-1600CD, adjust the white INPUT SENS knobs clockwise for inputs 7 & 8 all the way counter-clockwise and pointing directly at MIN (off).
- Turn up the volume on the external stereo instrument or device and begin playing it or have it play back audio. If the external instrument or device has an audio meter, be sure that the MASTER output meter on the external instrument or device is not being overdriven or clipping (if applicable).
Note: If the BR-1600CD's red PEAK lights are illuminating at all right now while playing the external instrument or device, turn down the output volume of the external instrument or device.
- On the top panel of the BR-1600CD, adjust the white INPUT SENS knobs clockwise for inputs 7 & 8. Adjust these knobs until the red PEAK lights next to the knobs flash occasionally when playing the instruments or device. Then turn them down a bit (counter-clockwise) until right when they are off.
- Adjust the black INPUT LEVEL knob on the left panel until the INPUT 7 & 8 meters on the LCD screen stay between –12 and –4.
Note: If the volume is going above -4, turn down the volume of the white INPUT SENS knobs on the BR-1600CD and/or the output volume of the external instrument or device.
- Slowly bring up the MASTER volume fader level. The external stereo instrument volume will be output to speakers connected to the LINE OUT of the BR-1600CD.
Note: If headphones are being used, adjust the headphone volume on the bottom, front panel where the headphones connect to the BR-1600CD. If speakers are being used, be sure that they're volume is up if they have their own volume adjustment.
Press the TRACK BUTTONS of tracks that the external instrument or device will be recorded to. The selected track buttons will begin to blink.
NOTE: Since a stereo instrument is being recorded (two channels: left and right), two tracks will be recorded to (e.g. Tracks 1 & 2 or Tracks 9/10).
- Press the REC button and then press PLAY. The BR-1600CD will begin to record.
- Press the STOP button to end recording.