The HPD-20 can be a great tool when using it as your MIDI output source to trigger sounds in the computer or in an external device - (Sound module, sampler, sequencer, etc.). You can do this with either the MIDI connection on the back panel, or through the HPD-20's USB Computer port depending on your particular setup.
In most cases, you will need to match the MIDI note numbers in the HPD-20 with your external device. Here's how to assign MIDI Note numbers to the pads in the HPD-20:
1. Choose a Kit that you'd like to edit.
2. Press MENU.
3. Press cursor right (>) to highlight the "KIT" icon, and then press ENTER.
4. Press cursor right (>) to highlight the "MIDI" icon, and then press ENTER.
5. Hit one of the pads (or an external pad) that you'd like to assign a MIDI Note number to.
6. Press the + or - buttons to choose the desired Note number (0-127). If you do not want to transmit a Note number for that pad, press and hold the + button until you select "OFF." Tip: To scroll through the numbers quickly, press + and - together.
7. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 for any remaining pads as desired.
8. Press the KIT button when you're finished. The new settings are saved in the Kit automatically.