BR-8: Recording a Song
In the following example, a guitarist can use the dedicated GUITAR/BASS input and COSM effects to quickly and easily record tracks with the aid of the onboard Rhythm Guide.
Creating a New Song
1. Press UTILITY and use the CURSOR buttons to highlight the SONG icon, then press ENTER.
2. Use the CURSOR buttons to highlight the NEW icon and press ENTER.
3. Cursor to the GO icon and press ENTER. A new song is created.
Using the Dedicated Inputs
1. Plug the guitar into the GUITAR/BASS INPUT on the rear of the BR-8.
2. Push the left INPUT SELECT button to activate the GUITAR/BASS input.
3. Adjust the left SENS knob (input sensitivity for GUITAR/BASS) until the red CLIP led light flashes occasionally when the instrument is played at its loudest level.
4. Adjust the INPUT LEVEL knob until the IN level meter in the LCD screen shows an average level between 4 and 12.
Inserting Effects While Recording
1. Press the EFFECTS button to view the effects associated with the GUITAR/BASS INPUT.
2. Use the TIME/VALUE dial to choose the appropriate effect to be recorded. If no effect is desired, cursor to highlight BYPASS OFF, and use the TIME/VALUE dial to select BYPASS ON.
Using the Rhythm Guide Feature
1. Press the Rhythm Guide's ON/OFF button twice. A solid red light in the button will indicate that the Rhythm Guide is now playing.
2. Adjust the Rhythm Guide LEVEL knob to the desired listening level.
3. To change the tempo, tap repeatedly - at least four times - on the TAP button and the tempo of the Rhythm Guide will change accordingly.
4. To change the pattern type of the Rhythm Guide, press the PATTERN button and turn the TIME/VALUE dial to select the desired time signature and pattern, and then press PATTERN again to exit.
5. Press the ON/OFF button to stop the Rhythm Guide, and one more time to place the Rhythm Guide into Auto-start mode. (When PLAY or REC & PLAY is pressed, the Rhythm Guide will start automatically.)
Note: The performance of the Rhythm Guide patterns can be transmitted to a MIDI Sound Module or any General MIDI device via MIDI, and the sounds within the module can be used as an alternative to the rhythm sounds that are built into the BR-8. Refer to the instructions and reference table on page 73 of the BR-8 Owner's Manual.
Record the performance
1. Select and arm the recording track by pressing the round REC TRACK button beneath the fader of the track you want to record so that it lights and blinks red. Verify your input level and adjust it if necessary, using the procedure above.
2. Press the REC and PLAY buttons to start recording. When you.re finished recording, press the STOP button.
3. Press the ZERO button to instantly rewind to the start of the song, and press PLAY to listen to your track. Adjust the position of the track's fader to set it to the desired listening level.
Adjusting Reverb on the Recorded Track
1. Press the REVERB button.
2. Use the CURSOR (>) buttons to highlight the Reverb Send knob icon for the recorded track.
3. Turn the TIME/VALUE dial to add more or less effect to the track.
4. To access the REVERB parameters, press down CURSOR, or press the REVERB button once again. Navigate to the various parameters using the CURSOR up and down buttons, and change values by turning the TIME/VALUE dial.
Note: Reverb can be added to the input instrument and/or the Rhythm Guide if desired during recording or playback by using the CURSOR (>) buttons to select the IN or RHYTHM knob icons and the TIME/VALUE dial to increase the reverb level.