MIDI clock is primarily used to sync the VS recorder with keyboards, drum machines and stand-alone hardware sequencers. When using MIDI clock, the VS is the "Master" and the external MIDI device is the "Slave". Therefore, the external MIDI device has to be set to receive MIDI clock information (usually a setting called "Ext Sync" or "MIDI Sync").
To generate midi clock from the VS, use the following procedure:
- Use a midi cable to connect the MIDI OUT of the VS to the MIDI IN on the external MIDI device.
- Hold down SHIFT and then press F5 (SYSTEM).
- Press PAGE to display MIDI over F4 and then press F4 (MIDI).
- CURSOR to "MIDI Thru" and select "Out" with the TIME/VALUE dial.
- Press and hold the SHIFT button. While holding the SHIFT button, press the EXT SYNC button.
- CURSOR to "Sync Gen" and select "MIDIClk" with the TIME/VALUE dial.
- Press and hold the SHIFT button. While holding the SHIFT button, press the TAP button.
- CURSOR to the tempo value and use the TIME/VALUE dial to set the desired tempo. The default tempo is 120.
- Press the PLAY/DISPLAY button to the right of F6 to return to the main screen.
- Set up the external instrument (keyboard, drum machine, sequencer, etc) to slave to MIDI clock. Check the documentation of the instrument for these instructions.
- Then, press PLAY on the external instrument. It should pause waiting for a signal from the VS.
- Press PLAY on the VS.