If you enjoy using the BR-80's built-in drum machine in MTR mode but would like to transfer the drum track to a computer, this article will guide you through the proper procedure. The BR-80's drums can be Mastered down (recorded) to a stereo track and then exported as a WAV file to your computer. This WAV file will be a recording of the drums alone and can then be dragged directly into a track in recording software.
How to Master (Mix Down) to Two Tracks
- Press the power button until MTR is selected.
- Press the up or down cursor buttons to select the “LEVEL” screen.
- Use the left and right cursor buttons and the data dial to turn down the volume of every track (i.e. tracks 1 through 8) to “0”.
NOTE: Leave the Rhythm track (“RHY”) at its current volume setting.
- Press the play button and be sure that you only hear the drum track.
- Press the MENU button.
- Use the cursor buttons to select “MASTERING/BOUNCE” and then press ENTER.
- Use the cursor buttons to select “MASTERING” and then press ENTER.
- For the following parameters, use the cursor buttons to select the item that you want to edit and then use the dial to edit the setting:
"FILE" - Shows the name of the WAV file that will be created. You can leave this as is or change the name to your liking.
"EFFECT" – Set this to “P 1 MIX DOWN”.
"START" - Specifies the location of where mastering will begin recording. Set this to “00:00:00.00”—the beginning of the song.
"END" - Specifies the location of where mastering will end (stop) recording. Set this to the end of the song.
"LEVEL" - Specifies the volume of the WAV file that will be created by mastering. You can leave this at “100”.
- Press the REC button. The BR-80 will enter recording standby mode.
- Press PLAY. The mastering process begins and the drum track is recorded as a WAV file with the name specified in the "FILE" section above.
- When the process is complete, the BR-80 will stop automatically.
Transferring the Drum WAV File to your Computer:
- Press the MENU button.
- Use the cursor buttons to select "FUNCTION" and then press ENTER.
- Use the cursor buttons to select "USB" and then press ENTER.
- Use the dial to select "STORAGE" and then press ENTER twice.
- Power off the BR-80 and then power back on. The BR-80's USB mode is now set to Storage.
- Use a USB cable to connect the BR-80 to your computer. A "BOSS_BR-80" ICON (or a "removable disk (*:)" icon) will eventually appear on your computer.
Windows Users: If this icon does not appear, open the Windows Start menu (or Windows icon) and then click on "My Computer" (or "Computer"). The icon will be in "Devices with Removable Storage".
- Double-click the "BOSS_BR-80" icon (or "removable disk (*:)" icon).
- Double-click on the "ROLAND" folder.
- Double-click on the "MASTERING" folder. The drum WAV file with the name specified in the "FILE" section above will appear in the window.
- Drag the WAV file onto your computer's desktop or into a folder that you have created. A copy of your WAV file is now on your computer.
- Stop the connection between the BR-80 and your computer:
From the Windows Start menu, click on “Computer.” Right-click the “BOSS_BR-80” icon (or the “Removable disk (*:)” icon), and then click on “Eject.”
Mac OS Users
Drag the “BR-80” icon to the “Eject” ("Trash") icon.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the BR-80