Use INPUT-2 when you are recording vocals with just one microphone. Turn on phantom power if necessary for a condensor microphone.
1. Plug the microphone into the VOCAL/INPUT-2/MIC-2 INPUT using either a XLR or 1/4 input.
2. Press the VOCAL INPUT select button on the top left of the board, and use the Input-2 INPUT SENSITIVITY knob to set your level.
3. Have the vocalist sing the loudest they plan to sing for the song you are about to record, and adjust the INPUT SENS knob until the PEAK indicator lights up. Once you have raised it enough to light up, turn the knob back slightly so that it only occasionally lights the PEAK indicator when played at the loudest/hardest level.
4. Press the COSM EFFECTS button so that it lights, which indicates that the effects are turned on. Press the COSM effect button until the effects screen appears and you can dial to select different effects, and preview how they sound before beginning to record. The choice of effect bank defaults to the type of INPUT or INSTRUMENT selected, but you can cursor to it and change it to pick any catagory of effects (i.e. GUITAR, VOCAL, LINE).
5. If you press F3 (LOCATION), you can determine if you want to record with the effect or just hear the effect without "printing" it to the record track.
The LOCATION options are:
A. INPUT (NORMAL) This will allow you to hear the effect and it will be recorded (PRINTED) on the track.
B. INPUT (RECORD DRY) This will allow you to hear the effect, but it will not be recorded to the track.
C. TRACK Apply the effect to a specific track after it is recorded. You have the option to bounce tracks later if you want to print the effect on a track.
6. Press the UTILITY button until you return to the main screen, check your levels and press RECORD & PLAY to begin recording.