The FA-06 and FA-08 can connect to a computer so they can be integrated with music software applications. There are two ways to make this connection:
- Direct USB connection. This will use a standard USB cable connected to the square "USB COMPUTER" port on the back of the FA-06/08 and then to a standard USB port on your computer.
- Connection using a MIDI or Audio/MIDI interface. This will use the MIDI In and MIDI Out ports as well as the Main Out (Left/Right) jacks on the back panel of the FA-06/08, which will connect to the interface, and the interface will then connect to a standard USB port on your computer.
The functionality and operation of the FA-06/08 and your computer-based application(s) will be the same no matter which type of connection you are using - the only difference is how the MIDI and Audio signals are routed.
Connecting your FA-06/08 to a computer using the direct USB connection
1. On the FA-06/08, press MENU.
2. Cursor to "System" and press ENTER.
3. Use the </> buttons to select the "General" tab at the top of the screen.
4. Cursor to "USB Driver" and set this to "Vender (MIDI+Audio)."
5. Press the #6 button under the screen ("System Write") to save this setting.
6. Download and install the FA-06/08 USB driver for your computer and connect the USB cable. You can download the latest drivers from our website here.
Make sure you download the driver that corresponds to the type of computer you have (Mac or Windows-based) and the version of operating system you are using. Once downloaded, you will need to run the setup application to install the driver into your system. This may include re-starting your computer.
7. Confirm that the USB driver is installed correctly and that the computer is communicating correctly with the FA-06/08.
- On a Macintosh, look in the Audio MIDI Setup utility and confirm that the FA-06/08 is listed in both the Audio and MIDI Studio windows.
- On a PC, open the Device Manager and confirm that the FA-06/08 is listed under "Sound, video, and game controllers."
8. Activate or enable the FA-06/08 in your music software. You will need to consult with the documentation for your specific application for this, but usually there is a preferences menu where you will need to enable the FA-06/08 so it can be used by your software.
This will allow you to transfer both MIDI and Audio data between the FA-06/08 and your computer.
Connecting your FA-06/08 to a computer using a separate MIDI or Audio/MIDI interface
1. Download and install the USB driver for your the interface (if necessary).
2. Confirm that the USB driver is installed correctly and that the computer is communicating correctly with the interface.
- On a Macintosh, look in the Audio MIDI Setup utility and confirm that the interface is listed in both the Audio and MIDI Studio windows if it is a Audio and MIDI interface, or only in the MIDI Studio window if it is a MIDI interface.
- On a PC, open the Device Manager and confirm that the interface is listed under "Sound, video, and game controllers."
3. Activate or enable the interface in your music software. You will need to consult with the documentation for your specific application for this.
4. Connect the FA-06/08 to the interface.
DAW Control Mode
The FA-06/08 has a "DAW Control Mode" that can be used to access and control features and controls within your software application. It is not necessary to use this mode when interfacing with a computer, but it can provide additional control. If you are interested in using this option, you can find more information in our document "FA-06/08 Application Guide," which can be downloaded here.