BR-1180, BR-1180CD: Using Speaker Modeling
The BR-1180/1180CD includes a built-in speaker modeling feature, which allows you to reproduce the special characteristics of a variety of different monitor speakers. Speaker modeling can be used to compare the sound of recorded songs through various monitor speakers and when adjusting the balance between tracks, making it a very useful tool for finishing up your songs with better mixdowns.
The BR-1180/1180CDs speaker modeling feature has been designed so it offers the best response when used with Rolands DS-90A or DS-50A speakers as monitor speakers, connected digitally. Be aware that you may be unable to achieve the proper effect with the speaker modeling feature when using other monitors.
1. Using a digital optical cable, connect the DIGITAL OUT of the BR-1180/1180CD to the OPTICAL DIGITAL IN of the DS-90A/DS-50A monitor speakers. If the DS-series speakers are not used, connect the LINE OUTs of the BR-1180 to the audio inputs of the monitor speakers.
2. Press EFFECTS, causing the indicator to light up. The effects settings screen is displayed.
3. Use CURSOR to move the cursor to USE SP, then press ENTER. The speaker modeling settings screen is displayed. The insert effects are turned off automatically at this time.
* You cannot use speaker modeling and the insert effects simultaneously.
* You cannot use speaker modeling when the INPUT MODE is set to MASTERING.
4. Use CURSOR UP to highlight the Speaker Modeling effect patch number and rotate the TIME/VALUE dial to select the speaker model you want to use. The selected speaker model is applied to the output sound.
5. To turn off speaker modeling, press CURSOR to move the cursor to EXIT SP, then press ENTER. The effects settings screen returns to the display.
At this point, the insert effects are turned on again automatically.