The following procedure will guide you through recording audio with a microphone on the BR-1180:
1. Bring the MASTER volume fader all the way down.
2a. If you are using a microphone that does not require Phantom Power (e.g. dynamic mic), proceed to step 3.
2b. If you are using a microphone that requires Phantom Power (e.g. condenser mic):
a. Press the UTILITY button.
b. CURSOR to "SYSTEM" and then press ENTER.
c. CURSOR to "Phantom" and then use the TIME/VALUE dial to select "ON".
Phantom power is now being supplied to XLR inputs 1 and 2.
Note: Check the documentation of your microphone to determine if phantom power is required.
3. Connect your microphone into the XLR or 1/4" input MIC 1 or MIC on the back panel.
Note: If using a condenser mic, it will need to be connected to an XLR input--as phantom power is not supplied to the 1/4" inputs.
4. Press the INPUT SELECT button (on the top left of the unit) that corresponds to the input on the back panel being used.
For example: If the mic is connected to MIC 1 on the back panel, press the INPUT SELECT button directly beneath the MIC 1 (VOCAL) knob.
5. On the top of the unit, adjust the second white INPUT SENS knob corresponding to the input on the back panel. Adjust this knob until the red PEAK light next to the knob flashes occasionally when you are singing or talking into the microphone. Then bring the knob down a bit (counter-clockwise) until the PEAK light no longer flashes and is off.
6. Adjust the black INPUT LEVEL knob on the left panel until the "IN" meter on the LCD screen stays between –12 and –4.
7. Slowly bring up the MASTER volume fader level. Your microphone volume will be output to speakers connected to the LINE OUT of the BR-1180.
8. Press the TRACK BUTTON of the track that you would like to record audio to (located beneath each track volume slider/fader). The selected track button will begin to blink.
9. Press the REC button and then press PLAY. The BR-1180 will begin to record sound from your microphone onto the track that you previously chose.