RSP-550: Programming the Expression Pedal
The RSP-550 offers the ability to control four parameters per Patch in real
time. The parameters available differ depending upon the algorithm. Use the
following procedure to program the external control function of the RSP-550:
1) Use the PROGRAM buttons to select Patch 193.
2) Press the CONTROL ASSIGN button so that "Ext. Control / - l - l - l - "
is displayed. Solid numbers have controllers assigned, flashing numbers do not
have controllers assigned.
3) Use the PROGRAM buttons to select one of the external controllers and use
the VALUE buttons to turn the external controller "on" or "off." For this
example, turn the 1st external controller "on" so that we can program a
4) Select external controller number 1, turn it "on," and press the CONTROL
ASSIGN button. The screen will now display "Control Source / Control SW."
5) The Control Switch is the footswitch that is on the back of the unit. If
you want to set a different controller, use the VALUE buttons to select a new
control source. Controller #16 is a very common choice for real time parameter
control of effects. The FC-50 foot pedal, the GR-1 and the C1 slider on many
Roland keyboards can be set to this controller number. To assign this
controller, press the VALUE UP button until "Control Source / Control #016" is
6) Press the PROGRAM UP button one time and use the VALUE buttons to select
the individual effect parameter that you will be altering in real time. Lets
start by assigning the target to chorus depth. "Control Target/ Cho: Depth"
will be displayed.
7) It is now possible to set the Minimum and Maximum levels of the foot pedal.
Press the PROGRAM UP button one time and use the VALUE buttons to set the
Minimum level to "0%."
8) Press the PROGRAM UP button and use the VALUE buttons to set the Maximum
level to "50%."
9) Press WRITE two times to store your changes, or EXIT to return to the
standard play mode.