DR-880: Extending the Length of a Pattern (Using Pattern Copy)
It is possible to extend the length of any pattern in the DR-880. The way to do this is by using the Pattern Copy function. Entering into the "Pattern Info" menu and changing the number of measures is NOT the correct procedure for this reason; Increasing a pattern's measures will definitely make the pattern longer, but the "content" will not be included within the new amount of measures you've added. For example, if you increase the length of a pattern in the Pattern Info menu from 4 to 8 measures, the first 4 measures will play as usual, but measures 5-8 will be silent. This is normal. It's similar to adding measures to a blank sheet of music - You still have to add the musical notation along with the new measures - unless, of course, you want silence in that portion of the song.
Use the following steps to extend the length of a pattern along with its musical content. For this example, let's use pattern "P001 Cool Groove" and extend it so it's a 16 measure pattern:
1. Select Pattern "P001 Cool Groove."
2. Press EDIT.
3. Press the CURSOR Left or Right < > buttons to choose "PATTERN".
4. Press ENTER.
5. Press CURSOR < or > to choose EDIT, and then press ENTER.
6. Press CURSOR < or > to choose COPY and then press ENTER.
7. If necessary, turn the VALUE dial to select "CURRENT."
8. Press CURSOR Down once to select "Src Meas."
9. Turn the VALUE dial to select "1."
10. Press CURSOR Down once to select "Num of Meas:" - This value represents the amount of measures you want to make a copy of.
11. Turn the VALUE dial to select 4.
12. Press CURSOR Down once to select "Dest meas."
13. Turn the VALUE dial to select 5.
14. Press CURSOR Down once to select "Part" and confirm that "ALL" is selected.
15. Press CURSOR Down once again to select "Copy Times."
16. Turn the VALUE dial to select "3."
17. Press ENTER - "Now Working" shows briefly in the display. The pattern is now 16 measures long. If you want to save the new settings, follow the steps in "Pattern Write"(Saving a Pattern), in this help desk.