SPD-S: Using an FD-7/FD-8 foot controller
The FD-7 control pedal can be used with the SPD-S to control various parameters. Use the following steps to set the FD-7 (or a Boss FS-5U) to control the "open and close" type of performance from a hi-hat sound:
1. Connect the FD-7 to the FOOT SW input on the SPD-S.
2. Press SETUP ("SYSTEM" shows in the display).
3. Press ENTER.
4. Press PAGE Right [>] five times to select "FootSwPolarity."
5. Press (-) to choose "FootSwPolarity -."
6. Press EXIT once (“SYSTEM” shows in the display).
7. Press PAGE Right [>] twice to select "CONTROL SW."
8. Press ENTER.
9. Step on the FD-7 so the FOOT SW 1 light flashes.
10. Use the + / - buttons to select "WAVE SW." This set up allows the FD-7 to choose between the WAVE A and WAVE B sounds.
Now we'll assign the open and closed hi-hat sounds to a pad:
1. Press PATCH.
2. Use + / - to select a desired patch.
3. Press EDIT ("WAVE A" shows in the display).
4. Press ENTER.
5. Strike the pad to be assigned.
6. Use + / - to select "i164>AcuHH op."
7. Press EXIT once.
8. Press PAGE Right [>] once to select "WAVE B."
9. Press ENTER.
10. Use + / - to select "Wave Sw FOOTSW."
11. Press PAGE Right [>] once.
12. Use + / - to select "i163>AcuHH cl."
13. Press EXIT.
14. Press PAGE Left [<] once to select "WAVE A."
15. Press ENTER.
16. Step on the FD-7 so the FOOT SW 1 light flashes.
17. Use + / - to select "i165>AcuHH ft."
18. Press EXIT.
Now we'll set the FD-7 to cut off or "close" the open hi-hat sound. To do so, the pad and the pedal must be set to the same "MUTE GROUP."
1. While still in patch edit, press PAGE Right (>) to select "PAD CONTROL."
2. Press ENTER.
3. Press PAGE Right (>) three times to select "Mute Group."
4. Strike the same pad that was previously selected in step #5 above.
5. Use + / - to select a desired mute group number (1 - 9).
6. Press the FD-7 and choose the same number.
Note: The PAD number will be lit and FOOT SW 1 should flash. If other pads are sharing the same mute group, they will also be lit. If so, choose a number that only the pad and the FD-7 share.
7. Press EXIT twice or PATCH to return to PATCH mode.